We noticed the Final Draft International Standard (FDIS) for Edition No. 3 IEC 62368-1 was published on May 25th as document 108/701/FDIS. What are some key differences in Edition No. 3 compared to Edition No. 2?
You asked about the key differences in Edition No. 3 compared to Edition No. 2of IEC 62368-1?
Confirmed, the FDIS for Edition No. 3 of IEC 62368-1 was published on May 25th.
Edition No. 3 of IEC 62368-1 remains on track for formal publication sometime during 3Q 2018, probably late August or September.
Regarding the key differences, the Foreword to Edition No. 3 includes the following information, which provides a good summary appropriate for this forum.
“This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– Addition of requirements for outdoor equipment;
– New requirements for optical radiation;
– Addition of requirements for insulating liquids;
– Addition of requirements for work cells;
– Addition of requirements for wireless power transmitters;
– Addition of requirements for fully insulated winding wire (FIW);
– Alternative method for determination of top, bottom and side openings for fire enclosures;
– Alternative requirements for sound pressure.”
UL staff were involved in the IEC TC108 project teams working on these changes so we have a sound understanding of the requirements and their intent.
More details on the impact of the changes can be provided via in-depth engineering consultations that consider the impact of the changes on your specific products or classes of products.